It's was a Friday night, long, long ago….ok, too much? Yea, too much. How about, it's Friday, I'm tired, and my S3 (3rd son) is hungry. I needed something quick and easy. I've made this combination a ton of times, but decided to make it a little more rich and creamy this time. Vegetables, heavy whipping cream and pasta, who can resist?
The porcini mushrooms have a smokey flavor; they look like slices of steak, don't they? The coolest part of this meal..that can be steak. This, like many of my recipes, are easily adaptable to families with multiple eating styles. Steak, chicken, shrimp, tofu - all would work well with this dish. You can also throw on some pine nuts for extra protein. There are approximately 18 grams of protein in one cup of pine nuts…so. while adding, say, 1/3 cup won't provide a ton of protein at once; it all adds up.
Mushroom & Spinach Farfalle Pasta
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
1 oz Porcini Mushrooms
1 Cup Portabella Mushrooms
1 Small Bell Pepper
½ Teaspoon Salt (plus salt for cooking pasta)
½ Teaspoon Pepper
½ Cup Vegetable Broth
¼ Cup White Wine
2 Cups Farfalle Pasta
1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
3 Cups Spinach (Packed)
1. Cook your pasta according to package direction, adding salt to the water.
2. Add the butter and olive oil to a medium sized pan. Add your garlic and let cook for approximately 3-4 minutes, until the garlic begins to brown.
3. Add mushrooms and bell peppers, cook until soft.
4. Mix your vegetable broth and wine. Slowly add about 1/4 cups of this combination to the mushroom mixture. Allow the liquid to absorb. About about 1/2 of the liquid that is left. Allow to adsorb. And then add the final about of liquid. Let approximately 1/2 of the remaining liquid absorb before going to the next step.
5. Add whipping cream. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Add drained pasta and gently stir together. Add the spinach and gently stir that in.